Benjamin (“Ben”) I. Schimelman joined the firm in April 2018. He represents insurers in complex coverage disputes involving allegations of bad faith and unfair claim settlement practices. Ben also represents financial institutions in commercial and consumer litigation ranging from complex foreclosures and construction disputes to evictions and other real estate matters.
Before entering the legal profession, Ben spent nine years working at a prominent Hartford insurer in its information technology, claims, and marketing departments.
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Hartford County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Rhode Island State Bar Association
- Construction Law Chair of the Connecticut Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section’s Executive Committee
- Standing Committee of Professional Ethics, Member
- Connecticut Radio Information System, Inc. (“CRIS”), Board of Directors
- “NY Law Against Roofing Contractor Fraud Could Be Broader,” Law360, February 6, 2020. (Subscription Required)
- 2018 Construction Case Law Summary & Legislative Review (Statutes of Limitation), Connecticut Bar Association – Construction Law Section, 2019.
- 2017 Construction Case Law Summary & Legislative Review (Statutes of Limitation), Connecticut Bar Association – Construction Law Section, 2018.
- 2016 Construction Case Law Summary & Legislative Review (Statutes of Limitation), Connecticut Bar Association – Construction Law Section, 2017.
- Bad Faith/Extra Contractual Liability
- Cyber Risks, Data Privacy and Insurance
- Defense Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Policy Wording and Program Implementation
- Financial Services
- Banking and Financial Services
- Business Transactions
- Commercial Litigation
- Appellate Advocacy
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- Rhode Island
- United States District Court, District of Connecticut
- United States District Court, District of Southern New York
United States District Court, District of Rhode Island
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, B.S.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D. with a Certificate in Tax Studies, Connecticut Law Review