Our team has extensive experience in the resolution of disputes relating to a wide variety of reinsurance arrangements and the various entities that support reinsurance operations in all lines of business. Our experience covers the range of reinsurance products, from traditional proportional and excess of loss reinsurance contracts, to cutting-edge arrangements designed for unique market purposes, such as catastrophe bonds. We also address the broad range of disputes and issues that arise outside the four corners of the contract. We represent clients in matters involving reinsurance intermediaries, commutation of risks, insurance company insolvencies, reinsurance pools, fronting arrangements, MGUs, and claims cooperation arrangements between ceding and assuming insurers.
Our lawyers are experienced trial advocates, with significant experience in complex litigation in a host of courts, and in arbitration, mediation, and rehabilitation proceedings throughout the country. We also have actual experience in company claims and underwriting operations, and as a result, we understand the insurance business and understand the challenges and needs of our clients. Using this knowledge, we are able to partner with our clients to resolve matters in the most efficient, effective, and cost-conscious manner.
We have represented both ceding and assuming insurers in engagements involving issues such as:
- Reinsurance of underlying mass tort liabilities involving complicated and evolving issues of science and law
- Disputed aggregation of loss under treaty or facultative cover
- The operation and effect of reinsurance clash treaties
- Fronting arrangements and captives, both on and offshore
- Reinsurance of ceding companies with rehabilitation plans under development and under scrutiny in insurance department or court proceedings
- Reinsurance pools
- Pre-hearing security
- Enforcement of arbitration agreements and awards
- Retrocessional coverage
- Claims control and claims cooperation arrangements
- Coverage for extra-contractual obligations
- Reinsurance by Lloyd’s syndicates
Our reinsurance lawyers are active members of ARIAS-US where they are involved in the continuing education of ARIAS-certified arbitrators. They have taught insurance law courses at law schools, and they speak and write regularly on topics relating to reinsurance and the arbitration of reinsurance-related disputes.
We offer big-firm reinsurance expertise and experience, but with small firm efficiency, attention our client’s needs, and focus on cost.