Title Insurance Litigation and Real Estate Transactions
Gfeller Laurie LLP’s real estate team provides a full spectrum of legal services to individual clients, title insurance companies and commercial purchasers, sellers, owners, developers, managers, lessors and lessees.
Our attorneys are retained by national title insurance companies to represent their insureds in a variety of litigation matters. We have extensive experience in a myriad of issues affecting title to real property, including:
- Adverse Possession and Prescriptive Easements
- Mortgage Priority Disputes
- Reformation of Mortgages
- Boundary Line Disputes
- Mechanic’s Lien Disputes
- Enforcement of Restrictive Covenants
- Incomplete and Defective Property Descriptions
- Old Unreleased Mortgages
- Forged Signatures and Defectively Executed Mortgages and Deeds
We have represented clients in disputes before state and federal trial and appellate courts as well as in arbitration and mediation. Some examples of our appellate cases include:
- Successfully representing a developer’s right to expand a condominium project in a case of first impression under Connecticut’s Common Interest Ownership Act.
- Successfully defending a lender’s supplemental judgment (obtained after a foreclosure) against a claim that the judgment was obtained by fraud.
- Successfully defending a mortgage against a claim that the mortgaged property was the subject of an illegal subdivision.
Our team also has substantial experience advising clients regarding negotiating and drafting loan modification agreements, forbearance agreements, settlement agreements and other alternatives to ligation involving real estate.
We also represent lenders, borrowers, sellers, purchasers, landlords and tenants in commercial real estate transactions and closings. Some of the matters we have handled for our clients include:
- Representation of a seller in a multi million-dollar sale of many commercial properties to a real estate investment trust.
- Representation of national and local real estate lenders and borrowers in connection with construction, short term, and permanent financing of shopping centers, office parks, industrial facilities, hotels and residential and commercial real estate projects.
- Representation of lenders with respect to commercial and consumer loan portfolio acquisitions and investor note receivable financing.
- Representation of landlords and tenants in connection with the leasing of space in shopping centers, office parks and other commercial real estate.